OF HISTORIC PLACES
NEW BANNERS ADORN MAIN STREET
Main Street in Morristown is now adorned with full-color banners depicting the village's place in history "on the road."
Beautiful and educational, the series of banners shows the evolution of transportation corridors through the village - from a wilderness path known as Zane's Trace to the National Road and US Route 40.
The banner project was spearheaded by the Morristown Historic Preservation Association (MHPA) and funded by a grant from the Belmont County Tourism Council.
MHPA came up with the banner concept and worked withTiffany Schmidt of SilverLake Graphics in Barnesville to create the design. Ed Tacosik and the LogoTek Team in Bethesda printed and installed the large, vinyl banners.
The "on the road" theme was chosen because Morristown is an original Pike town and all the highways are still visible in Morristown.
The National Road was the nation's first federally-funded highway, built between 1811 and 1834, and Morristown is one of the best preserved examples of a National Road community. The road became part of US 40 as a coast-to-coast highway in 1926.
MHPA extends its appreciation to Ohio History Connection for use of the Zane's Trace image and to AEP for granting permission for the banners to be placed on its electric poles.
This website courtesy of the Morristown Historic Preservation Association
Winner of the Ohio Historical Society’s Public Education and Awareness Award 1991 and 2003
Initial funding for this website provided by a grant from the Belmont County Tourism Council